Tuesday 25 July 2017

Cold nights!

We are coming to the end of a fairly cool dry month of April and winter has re-appeared. This week the temperature has dipped below freezing on consecutive nights. Time to panic as I have tender plants in 2 separate greenhouses plus the polytunnel.

I found an old paraffin lamp in the shed which I used in my greenhouse. My neighbour lent me a heater to keep my plants in his greenhouse warm which just left the polytunnel on the allotment.

My neighbour Richard suggested 180 hour candles! Simple says he. Fill a container with liquid lard and then just before it solidifies pop in a wax candle. The lard feeds the candle and makes it last ...180 hours. This can then be placed under an upturned earthenware plant pot as a frost deterrent.





No comments:

Post a Comment